a picture
a picture
Register with us

Register an account for the more details and get all the updates and the
requirements that you have with us.

Register With Us


We can help you open a UK bank account to receive your wages each week. UK tax and National Insurance will be deducted directly from your weekly pay. This is termed PAYE (Pay As You Earn). The current basic rate of tax is 20%. Most employees will be entitled to a Personal Tax Allowance of £11,000 per tax year (current rates).

This allowance is not given all at once, but spread over the 52 weeks of the tax year. National Insurance contributions will also be deducted from your salary. Altogether, you will pay approximately 30% of your salary in tax and National Insurance contributions.

Can I Teach in the UK

In the UK there is a huge demand for teachers who qualified overseas particularly from Australia, Canada,New Zealand and South Africa. Whatever your situation let us know and we can advise you on the likelihood of finding a teaching job in the UK.

You must have qualified teacher status (QTS) to take up a teaching post in England; this is awarded by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL). If you qualified in European Economic Area (EEA) then your qualification will be recognised in England

Teachers qualified in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA must apply to the NCTL before you can be recognised as holding QTS. Please click on this link for the NCTL online application form https://teacherservices.education.gov.uk/

If you qualified outside of these countries then you will need to complete an accredited training program.  You can find further information on www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options

Police Checks

TPrior to undertaking work in the UK you must have a police check from your country of origin that is dated within the last 12 months. If you have lived in another country within the last five years and for more than 12 months then you will also need a police check from that country.

Before you undertake your contract in a UK school you will need to hold a UK police check called the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). We will guide you through the process prior to your arrival to ensure there’s no delay in starting work.


You will need to provide two references covering the last five years. These must be professional references from an educational establishment. If you are a newly qualified teacher then your references can be from your university and a work placement.

Will I Need A Visa

The short answer is yes.  The easiest way to get a short term two year visa is to apply for a Youth Mobility Visa (YMV). We’ve listed some more guidance on the current requirement below. For more information or visit www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview

If you reside outside the EEA or those countries above, or cannot qualify for a Youth Mobility Visa then you can seek more guidance from the Government’s website:  www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Youth Mobility Visa – How to apply? What are the requirements?

To qualify for this visa you must:

Be aged between 18-30
Have a valid passport for one of the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Monaco, South Korea or Taiwan.

Have the equivalent to £1890GBP in your bank account.
Have no children.

When should I apply for my YMV?

Best time to apply is around three months before your departure; don’t leave it too late as depending on the time of the year some visa applications can take up to six weeks. You will need to apply for the visa before you leave home as you cannot apply for it once you have arrived in the UK.

How to apply

You have two options: apply for your UK visa directly or pay a visa agent to do the application for you. The fee for your application is currently £225 plus you will need to pay an additional Healthcare Surcharge of £200

Working in the UK

The UK has a multi-cultural and diverse society. Of course things will be different and it will take time to adapt, but that’s part of the beauty of teaching in a different country. The National Curriculum offers some subject specific guidance which we’d recommend you look at. Please click the link for redirection to their website –  www.gov.uk/national-curriculum/overview

At SKLLZ we will ensure that you will be completely prepared for life teaching in the UK. If you have any questions about working in a UK school then please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Term dates & structure of the UK education system

The UK education system is broken up into Key Stages (KS) which look like the following:


Term 1: The Autumn term – This term starts on the first week of September and finishes late December.

Term 2: The Spring term – This term begins the first week of January and finishes at Easter

Term 3: The Summer term – This term begins after Easter and finishes late July


# Firstname Lastname
0-3 Children's Centre EYFS
3-4 Nursery EYFS
4-5 Reception EYFS
5-6 Year 1 KS1
6-7 Year 2 KS1
7-8 Year 3 KS2
8-9 Year 4 KS2
9-10 Year 5 KS2
10-11 Year 6 KS2
11-12 Year 7 KS3
12-13 Year 8 KS3
13-14 Year 9 KS3
14-15 Year 10 KS4
15-16 Year 11 KS4
16-17 Year 12 KS5/Post 16
17-18 Year 13 KS5/Post 16




Contact Details

160 Kemp House City Road London EC1V 2NX United Kingdom

Phone : +44 203 411 0433
Email : info@skllz.co.uk

Send Us An Enquiry